Internship Period: 3 months (full-time), starting from mid-June until mid-September 2021
Application Deadline: Saturday, June 5, 2021, 5:30 pm
Through funding support from USAID, CamboJA offers two paid-internship placements per year to Cambodian youth who demonstrate potential to become a professional journalist. Each intern will spend his/her time with CamboJA News for a period of three months to learn about news writing and in-depth reporting.
To ensure the interns have practical experience in writing in-depth news and features during their internship with CamboJA newsroom, they will be mentored by the in-house senior reporters and editor-in-chief and actively engaged in the daily news production process, including travel missions with the mentors to cover stories in provinces when possible. It is expected that upon the internship, the interns will continue to develop their journalistic skills and develop themselves to become professional journalists.
The interns will be required to produce an internship report at the end of their internship period. They will be expected to actively participate in CamboJA news production process including:
- Attending newsroom meetings
- Researching and pitching story ideas to discuss with mentor and editor
- Gathering information through phone interviews and field interviews (when possible)
- Collaborating with the mentor to produce news stories (in text or video formats)
- Assisting in news material translation when needed
- Receive practical experiences in writing in-depth news and features professionally
- Receive mentorship from the in-house senior reporters and editor
- Develop journalistic skills and confidence in communications
- Have access to various training opportunities offered by CamboJA and partners
- Become a member of CamboJA network of professional journalists, media workers and citizen journalists
- Receive internship certificate upon completion
- Have free access to CamboJA’s legal and psychosocial support services
- Receive monthly stipend including insurance during internship period
- Travel costs will be covered for missions with mentors to cover stories in provinces.
- Must be a Cambodian citizen under the age of 35
- Have some educational background in journalism through short course or undergraduate-level education (year-2/ year-3 student)
- Have basic understanding of news writing
- Strong interest in journalism
- Be willing to learn new things and adaptable to fast-paced environments
- Have good English proficiency
- Be a team player
***Women and marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Submit your CV, cover letter, and a portfolio of your previous writings or audiovisual products (either school assignments or published works) to Mrs. Phuon Kongkea, Capacity Development Officer, via email firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 5, 2021, 5:30 pm.
For more information, please contact Mrs. Phuon Kongkea, Capacity Development Officer.
Phone: 017 24 13 15